Monday, September 24, 2012

Late September Wilds

Today was a gorgeous, classic fall day. The nights are as long as the days now, and we wake long before the sun. But the limited light-time focuses my attention, and I made time today to walk a bit (to the raspberry patch, for some face-stuffing) and collect wildflowers along the way.



Some of the flowers included in this bouquet are nemeses when in the fields. After these photos were taken, I even slipped in a few stems of Galinsoga, a plant I've spent more time pulling out of the ground this summer than I care to remember. Despite their voracious appetite for our good farm soil, most of these plants will grow just about anywhere, and when they aren't in competition with beets or spinach, I find myself noticing how incredibly beautiful, complex, and delicate they are. 


Not to mention tenacious.


2 comments:

  1. gack, lovely. that first photo needs to be an lp cover or a giant print people can hang on their walls and bathe their domesticity with. :)

    flowerscout, could you by any chance tell me the name of that little somewhat tatterdemalion purplish flower in the lower left? great bobbing clumps of it are everywhere in the rocky fields around my gardens, keeping the goldenrod company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nate! I think it's some kind of purple aster, though that's a catch-all category. And thank you! From you, I take kind words on photographs or domesticity very very seriously.

    ReplyDelete