Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Scout & About




This is my beautiful housemate Tonya.
 

This is her beautiful suitcase. 

Tonya is a teacher, a hugger, a maker-of-soap, a singer, a clothes horse, and a preeminent flower scout. We're going to keep bees, grow berries, and deck our home with plants of infinite variety. Beginning right here:

Yesterday morning, Tonya thrust a little dead ball of dried leaves into a bowl and said, "Take this. Give it some water." So I did. Then she said, "Don't give it too much. Its needs are few." So I turned off the tap, took it into my room, and set it on a crate under the window. Ten minutes later, I turned absent-mindedly toward it and found the above--a fractal wonderland of uncurling bliss-krieg! I couldn't believe my eyes! This, dear friends, is the famed Resurrection Plant.


It's immensely inspiring, for all sorts of reasons. But beyond that, it's beautiful.

(Don't worry, I promise not to let that dinosaur eat it. But only if you listen to this song, Resurrection Fern, by the indomitable flower scout Sam Beam.)





2 comments:

  1. Colie, you live with Tonya? She is awesome! What a great pair you must make. :o)

    P.S. I have a very similar suitcase for sale in my shop (different colors, but maybe the same manufacturer?)

    You can see it here, if you're so inclined:

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/101110295/1960s-stratolite-montgomery-ward

    Keep up the scouting, I'm enjoying this journal!

    <3 Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess! That is an awesome suitcase. I'm more into the dramatic red-on-black of Tonya's, but holy acid-trip color scheme! Thank you for reminding me of your fantastic shop. Come visit Tonya and I whenever you're up this way, ok?

    xoC

    ReplyDelete